I was recently asked “what do you do when the focus is gone, and the rain comes?” After I replied, I realized what a great question that really is, and I reflected further. You see, we all have strategies in life to deal with things, whether we are aware of them or not. Strategies are simply ways of doing things, like how you react to stress, or what you do when you lose focus.
There have been many times when I’ve been at that point in life when it seemed that the downpour would be unending. The most challenging thing I’ve ever had to face was when my sister passed away. I honestly didn’t know if I was going to be able to overcome the deep sadness and feel (or even want to feel) sunshine in my life again.
I lost my focus in life, my passion for life, and I beat myself for not being able to cope in my usual fashion. Typically when life threw me a curve, no matter what I could keep my game face on and keep my life on track – I’d just steer back on to the road and straighten my wheels, but this time, well, not so easy.
No matter what situation you’re facing that has taken your focus and brought the rain, I assure you that you can handle it.
Embrace the fact that you are a human being, and not perfect. There are no hard and fast rules for how you process and deal with things, everyone is different, and you will do things in your way, in your time. It doesn’t hurt to have a little help along the way… Here are the things that I’ve done to help me re-focus and bring back the sunshine in my life.
- I pray – I believe there is no greater love than the love of God, and that comforts my heart when all else fails.
- I remember how far I’ve come in my life, and list my accomplishments.
- I remind myself that it doesn’t matter when I take action, it matters that I take action – sometimes I just need a little more time and move more slowly.
- I remind myself that “this too shall pass”, and that things always seem (even if it’s just a little bit) better when tomorrow comes.
- I ask myself what I’m feeling and why, and I journal it all.
- I write, write, write, write and write more – getting thoughts and feelings down on paper frees me somehow.
- I reach out to those who love me for support – they know how to give me the laughter and extra love I need at those times.
- I make myself do something that makes me laugh and feel good – something that allows me to go to a happy place so I can readjust my perspective even just a little.
- I give myself permission to not be up all the time, but don’t allow myself to wallow.
- I remind myself that there are always those who have more than me, always those who have less than me, and there always will be.
- I forgive myself for whatever it is that I might be beating myself up for.
- And finally… Lindt Dark Chocolate with sea salt – ’nuff said. Hey, I’m just human…
What do you do when the focus is gone and the rain comes?